Saturday, July 6, 2013

Day 20 - 107 miles from Casper to Lusk, WY

Michael rode the single bike because we thought the profile showed more climbing than it turned out to be.

What a great day for doing 107 miles - temperature in the 80's, low humidity, only 2,701' of climbing and a tailwind for most of the ride! Wow!

Unfortunately, when you have an opportunity like this it is difficult to stop and take pictures; so, not very many were taken.

Here's one I meant to show yesterday; it is of Rachel getting ready to return to Longmont, CO. We were so happy she took the 4 hrs to drive up and spend some time with us in Casper. Thank you, Rach!


Spotted a Jackadeer in Douglas, WY. They really have strange things in WY!


Here is a place in Douglas,WY where it looked like a lot of fun could be had. Too bad, I didn't have Anne nor time to find out.


At the second SAG stop, I took off, got about a mile down the road and heard psst, psst and then it stopped. I know now when I hear that sound something has punctured one of the tires. Before I started today's ride, I noticed the rear tire had a lot of cuts; so, I stopped to check it out. It was soft so I turned around and headed back to the SAG stop. The tire was beyond further use. Fortunately, the SAG vehicle had my bag where I had a new tire and tube. Changed everything and was back on my way.

Tom Lambert - I got about 1,000 miles out of the rear tubeless tire. Considering the surfaces we have been riding, I am pleased with the tire's performance. The ride at 100 psi was very smooth and the rolling resistance was great all considering the chip seal roads, debris on the Interstate shoulders, etc. Replaced the tire with a Continental Gatorskin that performed well the rest of the ride. Still using a tubeless on the front.

Here is our motel in Lusk.


The owners were very nice in providing ice water, pink lemonade and many kinds of cookies! Tasted great after such a long ride.


This carving was carved from a 100-yr old tree at our motel showing a: Wild Turkey, Two Chiefs, Buffalo, Owl, Howling Coyote & Cowboy Hat.


If you would like to know the meaning of the figures, read this plaque.


Here is how we handle lactic acid build up.


Here Anne is finding use of the hammock, a hot item at the motel.


Yesterday, I told you about getting a massage in Casper. Well, regardless of the tailwind today, I feel the massage really helped with the speed of the ride. Especially the technique for the legs, involving me applying force with my legs from various positions against her resistance. It was the best massage I have ever had. Wonder if she would move to Burlington!

We had a pizza party at the motel. Supposedly, rated the best pizza in WY. We believe it as was really good.

Tomorrow, Anne and I will ride the tandem the 92 miles to Hot Springs, SD and say goodbye to WY our third state.

1 comment:

  1. We are planning to come to Fond du Lac on July 20 to see you. Where are you staying and what time do you get in? Mary, Butch, John and I. I guess Denny will still see you in Lacrosse. stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete