Monday, July 15, 2013

Day 28 - Rest Day in Sioux Falls, SD

Wow! A Rest Day and we needed it after the last three days in SD battling challenging winds.

We spent the day lounging around, doing job work, doing laundry, etc. We called a cab to take us to 6 pm Mass; however, we were stood up; so, we went to Old Chicago for supper. What a super deep dish pizza we had. We couldn't finish it; however, I did have a piece before I went to bed.

I wish we had a scale because I would like to know how I am doing weight wise. I know I seem to eat anything in sight and never pass up a cappuccino. Don't eat much breakfast - oatmeal, coffee for caffeine, sometimes a gogurt and I ready to go. Many of the riders eat eggs, waffles, sausage, etc. I have always thought if you eat a lot, you have to carry it.

Another item coming into play is my bottom. Although I have spent many miles on a bike seat training and now during this ride; I am experiencing some unpleasantness. I always use Buttbutter during the ride and lotion afterwards; nonetheless, I am now battling some saddle sores. A rider suggested Ichthammol Ointment; so, I got some. It is suppose to bring the sores to a head and keep the area from infection. The ointment is petrolatum based, is black and smells and looks like tar. I am not sure if it is helping or not; however, one thing for sure, it ruins underpants! I will keep trying other things because a sore bottom is aggravating when you set on the seat constantly unlike climbing, where you frequently stood on the bike as we did in the western states.

We said goodbye to one our riders and hello to three new ones. Two are riding this week with their wives, who have been on the entire trip. The other new rider is from England and he will ride this stage to La Crosse, WI.

Tomorrow, we will take the tandem the 71 miles to Worthington, MN. Along the way, we say goodbye to our fourth state - the windy SD.

1 comment:

  1. This is from John . Sorry to hear about the saddle sores. Denny and I will meet up with you in lacrosse Thursday staying at best western river front same as you (what Denny said). Now this is from Noreen: mike you have no body fat so don't worry about breakfast -- which is fuel that you need!

    ReplyDelete